318/365

We had a lot to do today so the obvious choice was to put it all on hold and go for a bit of archery practise down the club. After all it had rained and far from ideal for felting the roof and those plastic boards would benefit from a little sun to clear the ice. This was a good plan made from the warmth of the living room but out in the elements on a chilled rugby pitch it seemed a little daft as we would have at least been able to wear gloves on the roof.  I think I managed two dozen arrows before I couldn’t feel my fingers. I was trying out the Milliput alterations I had made to my equipment and they worked very well. The finger tab is far more comfortable and makes no longer makes contact with the arrow.

The grip still needs work but is heading the right way. I am making proper hand contact with it but I am still having problems with my palm slipping round and the pressure transferring to my thumb.  A constant hand position is essential and it is the pivot point. So if you have more contact at the bottom the shot goes up, more to the right  the arrow goes left  and a millimetre deflection at the point of contact equates to centimetres at the target. Normally the hand position is the first thing I set, and it had become the last thing due to shooting back to front and is almost impossible to adjust when fighting the fully drawn poundage. After giving this some consideration I moved setting my hand into the middle of the shot sequence but this now means I have to use my bad arm more as I make the last 100mm up to full draw. Anyway enough boring archery technique stuff, the upshot is there is better consistency and my elbow didn’t feel under pressure  or give any pain, which was nice. I feel that I am getting closer to where I need to be and then I can start working on the bow set up and get out to a decent distance for practise.

Eventually it got to the point where we couldn’t avoid the roof any longer. Armed with a pair of brushes and a tin of adhesive felt primer we painted a metre panel of the roof and set about cutting a couple of rolls to size whilst it went tacky. It reached the tacky stage after thirty minutes and we rolled out the first piece of felt and expected it to stick, our expectations weren’t met as it rolled up at the edges and refused to lie down in the middle. As we pasted out the next panel we continued to try and make the first one adhere to no avail. It was sort of stuck-ish but wasn’t ever likely to be a permanent fixture. I resorted to using some drywall screws  which at least fastened the edges down in places. This pattern followed for the next three panels before bad light ended play. This was very disappointing and a little soul destroying. We will continue tomorrow with the second layer of felt and the only recourse will be to batten it down with some more lathing. I didn’t want any raw wood exposed on the roof as it will eventually rot and need replacing so I am considering covering them with felt to improve the look and hopefully make them last.

I really thought that using the recycled boards was a great idea and totally in keeping with my upcycling  values but they have been a pain from start to finish and the cost of remedying the unique issues caused has probably exceeded using the more conventional materials. My hope is that the workshop machinery isn’t too badly affected by the ingress of water. A fair proportion of my wood stock is now unusable and there isn’t a dry spot in the place. My hope is that our efforts are the beginning of things getting better in there.

 

About these ads

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s