I am going to start this blog all back to front as this evening we attended a Talk on the WW1 Zeppelin rain on Walsall given by Paul Ford at the Walsall Local History Centre. When Linda mentioned the event I really wanted to attend, although I know precious little about Zeppelins or Walsall and only slightly more about World War 1, it seemed a seriously interesting topic. To put yourself in the shoes of the people of the time and considering the effects of seeing an airborne leviathan only a decade after the invention of powered flight must have been the stuff of nightmares. The war was so far away from the Midlands and the choice of Walsall as a prime target for the Kaiser’s wrath an unusual one. I can barely comprehend the awe and terror the sound of an airship must have brought. The fact that two deaths were recorded caused by the air raid warning sirens speaks volumes. The talk was captivating and well delivered, the subject was enthralling and the research thorough. I think there must be a book in it somewhere. I feel privileged to have been amongst the audience tonight.
So on the subject of history I will move back in time to this morning and I can report I finally a workshop without running water. I didn’t think it would happen but at last I can work in there again. There was an air of trepidation as I opened the door this morning and Linda accompanied me for moral support. I don’t know how I would have handled another failure. The amount of rain we had would have flooded the the place and there would be no dubiety about the results. The feeling of success doesn’t come any better than this. I made the decision not to batten the roof down as I need to coat the laths with wood preserver. I had managed to give myself a bruise under the thumbnail through the roof priming process and a pair of sore knees. I thought it would be best to give them a day off, there was plenty more to be doing anyway.
Now there was just the matter of sorting out weeks of wetness. Everything was damp, some things more than damp and a few rusty and beyond help. The important thing was to get the place drying and then sort out what can be salvaged and what needs replacing. However drying it out wasn’t going to happen by itself and so I went off in search of a heater and came back with a halogen one. The instant heat was obvious and appreciated. It was also obvious how much cold air was coming in through the door so I rigged up a curtain from the redundant tarp that had been protecting the main machinery from the rain. With the room windproofed the temperature started to rise. There was no point putting stuff away so I decided to take some time to set up the table saw which had returned from repair badly aligned. It was so nice to be warm and in the workshop that I even made an alignment jig out of some delrin sheet I had lying around. The major downside of the tablesaw I have is that it isn’t easy to align the table to the blade as you can only get to the mounting bolts from underneath and you need to check the alignment from the top. The next issue is that as you tighten the bolts up the alignment alters. After a lot of faffing I got it to .0005″ and called in near enough. Once aligned I set up the saw fence and then had to do some file work to allow the blade to get to 90 degrees. Finally the tablesaw was cutting true and I moved onto the next job.
In order to get the best use out of the small space I need to build some workbenches along the back wall. At the moment I am constantly moving tools from one place to another so to have dedicated benches for them will help massively. The most used tool without a home is my sliding mitre saw and the whole of the back wall bench system will be dictated by the dimensions it needs. I got as far as building the bench frame out of offcuts and a pallet. All being well I will finish it tomorrow.