The Simple task of removing the body from a Suzuki SJ Part 1

Image

After waiting three weeks for the planets to align and the Dalai Lama to pop round and bless the project I found myself unable to delay things any longer. The time had arrived to remove the body from the SJ. First things first, this is occurring on our drive, with no special tools, just large amounts of foolish confidence. The logistical issues started even before the battery was disconnected as my roll cab had to be manhandled from my workshop to the front of the house. This necessitated a ramp to be made and moving most of the workshop around to get the tools out.

At the crack of nine o’clock the first spanner was wielded in anger. The bonnet and the rear door offered no resistance, the same could not be said for the doors. Somebody somewhere in Japan must be pissing themselves at how they designed the door hinges to be held on with large cross head bolts and no amount of persuasion caused them to yield. As the hinges are needed for the rebody the easy option of cutting them off was unavailable to us so the next best option of welding nuts to the bolts was called into action. This required the welder being unearthed from the bowels of my workshop and manhandled up the garden in a wheel barrow replete with punctured tyre. Oh the joy of it all. The joy continued as the welder’s shroud collapsed and the tip melted. This happened to be the last tip and the first road trip began to buy some welding supplies. Eventually all the bolts surrended and the doors parted company with the body.

ImageImage

After that is was merely a case of removing everything that looked like to was attached and didn’t want to be. The wiring loom was removed and carefully marked up. The last time I built a car the wiring proved more complicated than Sudoko after a Tequila tasting session and I was mindful not to suffer a repeat. .

Image

Dinner was enjoyed from the comfort of the SJ’s seats

The afternoon was spent in the same vein as the morning, going through the endless list of parts that needed removing. None of it was particularly taxing, a number of parts really didn’t want to budge but were made to do so, I had to create a puller to remove the steering wheel and it didn’t half go with a crack. A number of the redundant parts were perfectly serviceable and hopefully they will bring a few pennies back into the pot as will weighing in the body at the local metal recycling plant.

I am feeling quite nervous about the next stage, as I am not exactly able bodied and it looks quite heavy. I can’t quite get my head around how it will play out  I guess I will have the answer by tomorrow night.

Image

Advertisements

JC Midge MkII Build Diary

Midge MkII Build Diary part 1 (of many)

I guess this is part one of the Mighty Midge (MkII) build story. The plans arrived today. As you can see, they are very comprehensive. How it goes, only time will tell.

A fair portion of my monthly budget went on buying the plans from John Cowperthwaite at Lightning Cars and sorting out the security for garage the car will be stored in so it will be a fairly quiet month on the build. As a number of the patterns are simply reversed for each side I bought a sheet of 12mm MDF and I will cut out a templates in that and make any mistakes on the cheaper material. From there I will use a template cutter on my router table to make the identical panels in a fuss free manner.

Plans

plans

plans